Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Testing 1,2,3

The whole reason for me being here is for a study on the effects of living at altitude and training at sea level.  We started our base line testing today.  I was in the afternoon session so was able to go out for a short ride in the morning with an espresso stop.  All of the testing is being done at a hospital across the border in Switzerland about 25k away.  The van and bikes took off after lunch as most of us would be riding back in order to same time.  I had a CO rebreathing test which was the easiest of the tests done today.  It was simply breathing in a closed system for 8 minutes to measure red cell count.  I had a small needle with a valve in my arm in order to take the blood samples.  They are the scientists so I cannot fully explain how it was all done.  The others either did a VO2 test or a time trial on a simulated course.  TJ and I left after our tests and did a 2 hour loop on the way home.  My camera was full but one of the roads was not any wider than most of the paved bike paths in Minneapolis.
This is a shot on the climb from Morez to Premanon.

No comments:

Post a Comment