Monday, September 20, 2010

Weekend Update w/ Tina Fey

I not only held down the fort.  I went to the Fort (Les Rousses).  This is where the UCI mtb race started on Sunday morning.  I went to catch the start to see Zach and Thomas off.  The race started at 8 so I had a quick breakfast and rode the 5k down to the start.  The race started inside the courtyard of Fort Les Rousses.  They offer tours of the caves below which I guess there are miles of underground tunnels.
There were around 250? starters for the race.  Not quite Chequamegon but it was a pretty big event for the area.  Previous days offered road riding tours and a 55k and 80k mtb race.  I did not recognize any of the Pros on the front line but some big names have shown up in the past.
front line  - no back-ins allowed

99-Thomas,  497-Zach
After the start I headed back to my cell for 2 hours.  Upon release, I came out to find Zach, pretty bummed out.  His derailleur had broken off only 7 miles into the race.  At the same time, he came upon Thomas who was helping a friend of his from Denmark, who had crashed badly.  He was knocked out and Thomas rode along in the ambulance to the hospital.  It was not a good day for the mtb crew.
I was able to get out for a hard 2 hour training session on a new route.
Up we go
The road race gang got back just in time for dinner which meant 3 extra hours in their cells on Monday.  Their race was south of Geneva in the Alps.  120k with a 5k climb at 13% avg. to a downhill finish.  It was a hammer fest as they average 44k/hr until the final climb. I guess a couple AG2R guys showed up.  It was only 7 euro to race and a some finished some had problems.  I felt a bit left out while sitting back and listening to the war stories from the day.
I will have my chance next weekend at the cx race.  I have been hopping barriers and getting ready with bike practice on the soccer field.

Today, was a rest day for most.  The road racers walked around looking pretty thrashed.  I hit up the soccer field and did some core work in the gym.  A few of us went for coffee and other went on a beer run/ recovery ride.

The vampires are coming in the morning.  I better get some rest.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jesse

    I'm a friend of Micah Moran's and he passed along your blog address. I moved to Leysin, Switzerland (East side of Lake Geneva) 5 weeks ago for work and I'll be here for 2 years. I've been enjoying the riding despite suffering each time. I live near Aigle, which is where the UCI World Cup CX race is on Oct 17. I'll be down there watching, so let me know if you get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Darby,

    Micah said you may contact me. The researchers are going to bring a vanful of us down to watch. I will let you know if it changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I forgot to give you my email: darby80@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete