Sunday, September 5, 2010

Oh, it's an out and back?

Today was supposed to be my day off from testing, or so I thought.  I had afternoon CO rebreathing again.  Ian and myself both needed to be at the hospital by 2 at the latest to have this done.  Jacob, Laust, Ian and myself headed out at about 10 and Ian and I thought it was a loop and would be back in time.  Well, we ended up going up 2 huge climbs with the 1st giving a great view of the Alps (sorry, too cloudy, no picture) and the 2nd one being about 12k at 12%.
This is a Swiss traffic jam
When the 4 of us made it to the top it dead ended.  Jacob says, yeah, this is an out and back.  Super, we are 2 hours in and we have 90 min. to get to the hospital.  We start to descend this one lane road/bike path and it is sketchy with cars coming up.  Laust and Jacob drop us and then 5k from the bottom, Ian breaks a spoke.  It is unrideable so head down and tell the guys.  I ended up blasting back to the hospital to get help but Laust finally had gotten through on the phone so they were being rescued. 

My test took a bit long since all of the blood was in my legs and they could not get the sample to flow through my arm but it finally worked and I was able to drag myself home.  5 hours, 125k and 9000 ft. of climbing and I was smoked.
public water fountains

Dinner was served again by the new chef who has decided not to put the salad out until the soup is eaten.
do not look her in the eye, it burns into your soul

1 comment: