Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ft. Collins USGP


Ft. Collins weekend came and went pretty quickly.  It was great to see many friends from CO that I have not seen in a few years.  The races went pretty well with a 9th on Sat. and 14th on Sun.   

I had host housing with Chris, who worked at the local Trek dealer.  It was great staying with a local and hanging out with other like minded people.  He was also only 3 blocks from an friend I met while living in Durango.  

The weather on Saturday was rainy and cool so the course was a bit slick.  It was a mud tire kinda day but not muddy enough to require bike changes in the 35+ race.  The elite race was a whole different track.  It was dried up and the tires stuck like velcro.  It was my second race of the day and I rode around for 30 minutes, eventually pulling out before getting lapped.  The Elite race is more of a bonus workout than anything. 





The weather on Sunday was completely different.  It was sunny and 65 and the course was getting dry and loose.  I felt pretty good after the double effort on Saturday but only managed a 14th.  I was pretty smashed after and decided to bail on the elite race.  I had a beer and hung out at the truck til it was time to work the pit for Bjorn in the elite race.  
Jeff and Sam, the bartenders/truck drivers
3 kegs of New Belgium
The Collective has become the afterparty sponsor of the USGP so we had 3 kegs of New Belgium to serve up for anyone that stopped by.  Beers were drank, truck was packed up and the weekend was over.  I spent Sunday night in Denver with my uncle before flying home early Monday morning in time to make it to work.


Teammates: Matt, Katie, Mark

Sunday night sushi with candied crickets from Japan for dessert
Thanks to Jeremy Cook for the race photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment