Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Nationals

I have been slacking on the Nationals report only because I was hoping to find some more photos since I, like most, really do not want to read a long detailed race report.

I drove out early on Friday morning in order to get there and get a couple laps on the course.  It was pretty muddy and would definitely be a weekend where a great pit crew would be essential.  I cruised a couple laps and then cleaned up and headed off to Waterloo to tour the Trek HQ and spend the night at the Moran's.  Micah gave me the full tour and it was a pretty cool place to see.  Almost everyone had a bike next to there desk.  I even walked out with a new helmet.

My race was at 2 on Saturday and I would have a front row call up based on my 6th place from the results last year.  I did not have a great start and never really saw the front of the race.  The Challenge Limus was hooking up well but the first 2 laps I was not hitting the lines. It was mostly one track and I overshot some corners and had to run which was costing seconds.  I had teammates/pit masters washing bikes so I was taking a clean bike every 1/2 lap.  Mark, Tom and Jay were fantastic and I could not have had better people in the pit for me. I ended up 11th on the day which was far off the podium and where I thought I could be.




I ended up having to leave and head home on Saturday night so I was unable to see Katie win the Elite women's title but I was at home on the trainer watching the women's race and racing the men front the warmth of my basement.

Three more weeks of training have passed and the season is finally ending this week with the Master's World Championships in Louisville, KY.  I fly out on Tuesday, race the seeding heats on Wednesday and the final is at 2 on Friday.  It looks like the weather should be pretty crappy and cold.

The Elite Championships are on Sat. and Sun. so there will be some beers consumed to celebrate the end of a long season.  The Trek CXC season end party is at the Maker's Mark Lounge on Sunday night so my early Monday flight and workday could be a rough one.


1 comment:

  1. Good job on the long season,, I was yelling for you in Madtown... Good luck at worlds!!!

    ReplyDelete